- Saturday, October 10th, 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm
- Hyatt Regency Cambridge, President's Ballroom C
- Jennifer BleyerSenior editor, Psychology Today
- Alex BlumbergCEO, Gimlet Media
- Erika Engelhaupt Online science editor, National Geographic
- Chrissie GilesCommissioning editor, Mosaic
- Lisa GrossmanPhysical sciences news editor, New Scientist
- Fred GuterlExecutive editor, Scientific American
- Laura HelmuthScience and health editor, Slate
- Mary HoffEditor in chief, Ensia
- Whitney JoinerSenior features editor, Marie Claire
- Elizabeth LopattoScience editor, The Verge
- Amanda MascarelliManaging editor, SAPIENS
- April ReeseAssociate editor, Discover magazine
- Adam RogersArticles editor, Wired
- Maria StreshinskyDeputy editor, Mother Jones
- Noelle Swan National news & science editor, The Christian Science Monitor
- John TravisManaging news editor, Science
- Mitch WaldropFeatures editor, Nature
- Denise WillsSenior editor, the Atlantic
Welcome to Power Pitch 2015, where you'll have the opportunity to sit across the table from the editor of your dreams and pitch story ideas, one on one. Each slot lasts 7 minutes – plenty of time for several well-honed pitches. Each editor can meet with up to 8 writers, so space is limited.
This year, we are doing advance sign-ups for the first time. Signup will occur via email, in advance of the meeting, not onsite.
Please follow the directions below exactly and then plan to show up early at this session In order to serve as many people as possible during our limited time, we will begin one-on-one meetings immediately, after a 2-minute introduction. Late arrivals cannot be guaranteed their slots.
Signup Opens: September 16, 2015 at 1:00 pm Eastern time
Signup Closes: September 24, 2015 at 11:59pm Eastern time
Advance Signup Instructions:
Please read carefully and attend to all details.
To sign up, email Powerpitch2015@gmail.com between September 16, 2015, 1:00pm Eastern Time and September 24, 11:59pm Eastern Time, with the email subject line: “Power Pitch 2015”, followed by your full name. Please note that emails received outside the signup period (either before it begins or after it ends) will not be accepted and will be deleted.
In the body of the email, please list up to 12 editors in descending order of preference. (It should look like this: “1. Jane Doe, 2. Jonathan Doe,” etc, with #1 being the editor you’d most like to meet with). We also encourage you to include your contact phone number if possible (cellular preferred).
Email early for a better chance of getting your top preferences.
We’ll do our best to accommodate your choices, but keep in mind that some editors may fill up very quickly – hence, the suggestion that you list up to 12 editors. In order to maximize the number of people who benefit from Power Pitch 2015, we will initially limit each person to 2 editor slots. However, depending on how many editor slots remain unfilled, we may choose to assign additional slots above that limit. Any of these additional slots will be assigned based on the original preference list that you emailed during signup.
Check the speaker bios listed above for any pitching instructions from editors – instructions will be uploaded and updated as they become
You don’t have to be registered for ScienceWriters2015 at the time you sign up for Power Pitch; HOWEVER, you MUST be fully registered for the meeting by the time signup closes on September 24. Anyone who is not registered for ScienceWriters2015 by September 24 will be excluded from editor assignments. There are NO late or onsite registrations for ScienceWriters2015 available.
We will notify you of your editor assignments by September 30, giving you ample time to prepare your ideas.
Listen on Twitter for updates: #powerpitch2015