People attend the ScienceWriters conference to make connections. Editors are looking for freelancers to hire. Freelancers are looking for editors to work for. But making these connections isn't always easy. There are great sessions to attend, old friends to see and other people to meet.
If you want to connect with editors, this session is for you. This is an informal meet-and-greet for editors, press officers, and freelancers. We have recruited editors and PIOs who are looking for freelance writers. They'll be hanging around the room, easily identified by their funny hats. All you have to do is come up and say hello. You don't need to bring a printed pitch or a carefully memorized idea. You don't even need to sign up in advance (though if you want to, check out http://bit.ly/SciWri4HireRSVP). Just bring yourself and your business cards.
Publications and institutions participating include: American Physical Society, brainfacts.org, Chemical & Engineering News, Discover, EOS, George Washington University, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Howard University, Knowable, Lifehacker, NPR, PNAS Front Matter, Spectrum, Smithsonian, The Open Notebook and the University of Maryland. Find the full list, editor contact info, what they're looking for in the way of freelancers and more at http://bit.ly/SciWri4Hire.
ScienceWriters is about forming connections and making science journalism flourish. Come out and flourish with us.
Social media hashtag: #sciwri4hire
- Saturday, October 13th, 5:15 pm to 6:30 pmAdd to Calendar
- Marvin Center, Room 309
- Bill AndrewsSenior associate editor, Discover
- Jay BennetAssociate editor, science, Smithsonian.com
- Claire CameronEngagement editor, Spectrum
- Siri CarpenterEditor-in-chief, The Open Notebook
- Shraddha ChakradharAssociate news editor, Nature Medicine
- Lisa ChiuManaging editor, brainfacts.org
- David EhrensteinFocus editor, Physics (APS)
- Scott HensleyEditor, Shots health blog, NPR
- Audrey HuangDirector, media relations, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Jyllian KemsleyExecutive editor, Chemical & Engineering News
- Mohi KumarInterim senior news editor, EOS
- Rosie MestelDeputy editor, Knowable
- Abby RobinsonDirector of communications; College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences, University of Maryland College Park
- Meghan RosenManager of media relations, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Gene RussoFront Matter, Editor, PNAS Front Matter
- Beth SkwareckiEditor, health, Lifehacker
- Alonda ThomasDirector of public relations, Howard University
- Jessica ThomasEditor, Physics (APS)
- Lisa Van PayDirector of research communications, George Washington University
- Brian WollyEditor, Smithsonian.com
- Carmel WrothEditor, Shots health blog, NPR